Friday, June 8, 2007

Loyal Lilac #2

I must have been younger than two when it happened. We were at the beach for the summer and my mom was pushing me along in my stroller. I was a happy child, always looking around, always checking everything out with my larger-than-life eyes. All of a sudden, we wheeled past a driveway where a 150-pound German Shepard leapt out at us, growling, and raring its sharp teeth. My mom pulled my stroller back so hard I was nearly thrown to the sidewalk. I cried and cried and shook uncontrollably. It was settled—dogs were evil, a creature not to be trusted.

After this incident, I continued to grow up thinking all dogs were ready to pounce and rip me to shreds at any moment.

When I went to friends’ houses for playdates or sleepovers, I was often embarrassed because I would be curled up in the fetal position in the corner, terrified of their 12-pound miniature poodles. I cried countless times when classmates’ tiny puppies started chasing me around their living rooms.

Never in a million years would I have imagined that a dog would become my source of comfort and my refuge from life’s stress.

I can’t remember if there was an exact day when things changed and I went from being petrified of dogs to loving them, but it happened. And I realized that all I wanted was a dog. I started begging. I begged day and night for a dog I could call my own.

On December 31st, 2006, just six days after my birthday, my wish came true, and Stanley came into my life. I stepped off the plane and there was Jay, holding a three-pound black and tan bundle of joy.

The last five months of my life with Stanley have been amazing. Of course there have been hard times, there always are, but whenever life’s stress gets to me, I nuzzle my nose in Stanley’s neck and the rest of the world fades away. I can officially say I am no longer terrified of dogs, and in fact, I have found more comfort in my now six-pound dog than almost anything else in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home