Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pensive Peyote #7

The Modern Day Expressionist

Left. Right. Left. Right.

Up and up.

“…and on your right is ‘The Violinist’ by Marc Chagall. Notice the underlying passion present in the violinist’s face and arms? See how he sits on the chair playing his violin without a care in the world. Even the fiery-colored tree in the back or the small bird on his shoulder cannot distract his attention from what matters most to him. Chagall was a violinist himself, and some say the violinist has an almost childlike expression on his face in this work…”

Oh fuck the Expressionists and their sloppy mixtures of color and flawed perception of detail. Give me the true details! Give me the truth! Something alive! Give me a Gustave Courbet or even a da Vinci!

This is where an undergraduate art history major from Yale gets you…showing off the famous artwork of the moment at some uptown yuppie art museum.

“As we move up to the next level, you will see ‘The Praying Jew,’ which is another Chagall work. It is generally agreed upon by most art historians that Chagall purposely included religious undertones in most of his work, but this particular painting is one of his most explicit references. Some say this was intended to portray prayer as a deliberate action taken as opposed to a fleeting afterthought in time…”

About time the man swallowed his pretentious flicks of the paintbrush and actually created something explicit. Ironic that an explicitly religious painting is the one I like the most out of his work given the fact that I’m an atheist.

This is the problem with so many people…they believe in so much, feel and know so many things; yet, they won’t just come out and say what they believe, say what they feel. Modern day Chagalls running around all over this city portraying a blurred, often confusing image of what they so clearly feel and think inside. It drives me crazy. Thank God I'm not like that.

“…and on the last stop of this tour we have ‘The Blue Rider,’ which is also known as ‘Der Blaue Reiter,’ and ‘Composition VII,’ both by Wassily Kandinsky. ‘The Blue Rider’ is often cited as Kandinsky’s most important painting of the early 1900s whereas ‘Composition VII’ is cited as the most complex piece he ever painted. As you can probably see, ‘The Blue Rider’ has a very tranquil, almost peaceful expressionist characteristic whereas ‘Composition VII’ is more a more rigid form of Expressionist artwork…”

Holy Christ! What the hell was Kandinsky smoking? I can make out the cloaked rider on the horse in ‘The Blue Rider’ but I have no idea what the fuck the ‘Composition’ even is. The most complex? How ‘bout the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen?

“Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your attention on this tour. The Expressionists have made a popular comeback in the contemporary art world, and we appreciate you taking time out of your day to see some of their work. If you would like more information, you can visit the visitor’s center by the main doors on your way out…”

Oi, thank God that is over. Time to head home and think about something other than random Expressionist art. Why do they even call it ‘Expressionist’ in the first place? Just about every Expressionist piece I have seen doesn’t express anything in a clear and concise manner. I think I was onto something back there…modern day Expressionist. That’s what the majority of us are. We may not paint or create works of art that will be revered years down the road as ‘brilliant’ and ‘moving’ by Starbucks coffee wielding yuppies enjoying the comfort of their retirement funds.

“Honey? Is that you?”

Huh? I walked all the way home already?

“Yeah, it’s me.”

“How was the new job?”

“It sucked.”

Meaning I wanted to impale myself with the fountain on the first floor…

“Oh! I’m sorry…listen, can we talk?”

Now this is always a good sign…

“Listen Maureen, you seemed obviously upset with me the other night and instead of staying here to work it out, you stormed out the door and didn’t show up until nearly 4 a.m. I was worried sick about you, and I still have no idea what happened!”

Yeah…I did do that, didn’t I?

“And what’s worse, whenever I try to talk to you about something like this, you do what you just did and sit there, staring at the wall and saying nothing. How am I supposed to figure out what you’re thinking? Read your mind?!?”

Jesus, she’s starting to get really pissed. I should probably say something…

“…fine! I’m leaving to go back to my place. I love you so much, but I cannot deal with a one-sided relationship in that respect. If you finally decide you want to talk, you know where to find me!”

What am I supposed to say? That I love her and I can’t say it? That I want everyone around me to just be upfront and honest about their feelings, desires, beliefs? Even though I’m not willing to do that myself?

“Wait! Laci…I…”

“I know that I didn't talk to you when I should...I was..."

Unable to articulate something so painfully obvious to both of us when you seem to have no problem telling me you love me?

"...tired, that’s all.”

“Goodbye Maureen.”

*sigh*

I guess I should go to bed and try to salvage this mess tomorrow. Can't wait to talk for eight straight hours about useless Expressionists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home