Sunday, June 17, 2007

Hip Hibiscus #4

Alice settled into her seat and closed her eyes, leaving the rest of her senses to take in the rigmarole happening inside the cabin as other passengers boarded the plane. A voice called to her making Alice come to for a second.

"Would you like a glass of champagne?"
"Yes, and keep them coming" Alice replied

As the flight attendant left Alice with her glass, she decided to take that 1st sip it flowed from the glass to the tip of her tongue and over her taste buds, bringing Alice back to a more glamorous time, the heyday of flying, when times were simpler and her skirt was shorter.

I remember that first interview back in Boston, I had just finished my degree from Wellesley and was living in the city, dating one of the Massachusetts state representatives and deciding my future when I decided that i wanted to work for TWA. The standards were so different back then the interview consisted of me parading around as though i was in a beauty pageant, and answering questions about my marital status.

I was one of the more fortunate girls though, I gave them my letter of recommendation from senator John Kennedy, and was able to secure a spot at TWA, as a stewardess.

"excuse me miss would you like another glass"
The phrase jolted Alice from her memory induced haze as she realized that the champagne glass was nearly empty.
"yes, yes please"

At this point the plane was beginning to get beaten around by a bit of turbulence, all Alice could think about was having to walk gracefully in heals during flights like this.

If the turbulence didn't get me the men did, walking around that small cabin there were always business men trying to get my attention, it was just part of the job. Of course i always smiled and made sure that their flight was enjoyable, that was my job. Sometimes when I was lucky enough to be flying and not working, i would sit in first class and sip the champagne, it was nice because other wise it was not allowed. We were to be the picture of perfection, beautiful. My daily uniform consisted of a girdle, and high stiletto heals in addition to the normal skirt and jacket that were very body fitted.

The glamor that was flying made it worth it. We had it all Worldliness, men, and looks. the nights i wasn't flying i went on dates with men in Boston, i had everything at my finger tips, and then i met Bill. On my way home from Maryland a young naval officer asked me out and the rest is history. I was lucky that the airline became a bit more relaxed on the marriage issue, but when i became pregnant it was over, the dream life style, I retired 1 month before 24 and never returned to the sky in the same way again.

That last flight I was able to sit in first class and sip champagne, i celebrated my new life and mourned the one i left behind. I was glamorous at one time.

Alice left the glass half empty, reaching into her purse she pulled out a picture and an old piece of paper. She looked at her beloved bill and a tear streamed down her cheek, Her destination was the hardest she had ever flown to. Then she began to unfold the paper, it was her recommendation letter from John, another tear streamed down her cheek. The day she began the job was the death of her innocence, the day JFK died was the death of hope, but today was the death of her livelihood.

As the plane touched down in Boston Alice was brought back to her roots, the sad occasion marred the nostalgia she felt about flying, but she remembered it for was it was.

"Thank you have a good day"

Echoed in Alice's mind as the exited the plane.

I wish i was back for a happier occasion.

Alice stumbled a bit as she got to the top her entire family was waiting for her.

I will always be glamorous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home